2 - S.O.A. "No Policy"
S.O.A.? Like State of Alabama? Weird name for a band that's from Washington D.C.
Of course, S.O.A. is Henry Rollins’ band shortly before he was in Black Flag and long before he became a famous guy who yells at clouds on camera (I love him). However, from the first song on this release, you will learn that he has always sounded like an old man. It’s balls to the wall from the get-go, which is really all I want in a band like this.
Notes aka my random thoughts while listening:
- I love the bridge not-a-guitar-solo moment in “Draw Blank.” It’s just dry strumming for 8 bars or whatever, because what else would you put there?
- “Girl Problems” reminds me of something but I can’t put my finger on it. Side note: Isn’t there an interview with Henry from the 90’s where he says relationships are dumb or something? Idk. Side side note: For a very sad time, look up the video where Henry Rollins tells a reality TV show date a story about the one time he was actually in love. It's very sad but adds a lot of insight into who he is.
- “Blackout” has a pop sensibility, even down to the lyrics (“I don’t know what to say/I don’t know what to do”), which was more common in 80’s hardcore than we tend to recognize.
- Man, I love a good pick slide. The Idles had a good pick slide too, I’m pretty sure.
This is the kind of dumbed down, all of your energy at once punk rock that I respect so much. Even playing in a “technical” punk band, I try to approach all of it with this energy. Speaking of which, you know what other record is like that? Dude Ranch by blink-182.
Listen to Dischord no. 2 here.

Comments
Post a Comment